West Coast Swing Pro Dancers and Fantastic Instructors Eric Byers & Pauline Charbogne are coming to Madison October 14 and 15!
Madison West Coast Swing Club is excited to bring Eric and Pauline to Madison for the very first time to teach 5 workshops and join our Saturday night social dance.
There are two workshop tracks available:
- Beyond the Basics: This track is for dancers who know the basics of West Coast Swing, but don’t feel super confident. If you’ve primarily taken a Beginner Bootcamp or series, these workshops are for you. These workshops will take place on Saturday 10/14.
- Intermediate: This track is geared toward dancers with West Coast Swing experience. You should feel confident with your basics during social dancing and know at least a few variations and complicated patterns. These workshops will take place on Sunday 10/15.
- Both tracks include admission to the Saturday evening social dance and mixed-level workshop (Monthly Dance).
- Not sure which track is for you? Send us a message or talk to us at a dance!
You may take both tracks if you’d like. For example, you could take Intermediate for your primary role and work on your non-dominant role in Beyond the Basics.
Instructors: Eric Byers & Pauline Charbogne
Dates: October 14 & 15, 2023
Saturday, October 14
12:45pm – Check-in opens for Beyond the Basics (please arrive early!)
1:00-3:00pm – Beyond the Basics Workshops
7:00-8:00pm – Mixed-Level Workshop (larger format to include dancers in both tracks plus additional evening attendees)
8:00-10:30pm – Social Dance
Sunday, October 15
9:45am – Check-in opens for Intermediate (please arrive early!)
10:00am-12:00pm – Intermediate Workshops
About the Instructors
Eric Byers is a West Coast Swing dance instructor/competitor/student/fanatic born and raised in Indianapolis, Indiana. Eric mixes a fresh blend of rhythm and connection to create a very unique dance style. Since 2009, Eric began to compete, study, and teach West Coast Swing and fell in love with the culture. He has received brief dance training in many genres of dance from ballroom to Latin in which he infuses the connection, the rhythms, and the movements into his Swing.
He is the back to back NASDE All-Star Jack & Jill tour winner for 2016 & 2017 and is known around the world for his distinct attention to music and rhythmic footwork.
Eric’s teaching style is very much like his dance: natural, fun, and intuitive. He creates an atmosphere that allows students to be comfortable letting loose and having fun in a relaxed learning environment. His teaching has heavy focus on connection within the dance and the conversation that happens within the music between two partners. As he continues to study the world of dance, Eric hopes to spread his love of West Coast Swing to the world. He has a reputation of dancing with any and every one as well as making each dance fun, creative, and unique.
Pauline is one of the instructors at ConneCTion dance in CT. She first dipped her toes into West Coast Swing in France, where she’s from, but this side hobby evolved into a true passion when she moved to the US in 2016. What motivated her to learn more? She realized that the more you understand the dance, the more fun you can have with your partner! As a result, she very early on started learning both roles to be able to dance with everyone. She can’t say no to a switch!
Registration & Pricing
You can sign up & pay at the bottom of this page or pay with cash/check upon arrival or at a club event prior to the event weekend. Registration is limited to 24 attendees for each track, so don’t delay! (Attendance limit does not apply to Saturday Evening pass.)
Early-Bird Pricing (through 10/8):
- Beyond the Basics Track: $45, plus applicable fees.
- Intermediate Track: $45, plus applicable fees.
- Both Tracks: $70, plus applicable fees.
- Any pass includes the Saturday evening social dance and mixed-level workshop.
Early-Bird Pricing ends on October 8, after which the price will go up $10.
The above passes will be available for purchase on-site, if the capacity limit has not yet been met. If you are planning to pay at the door, please check the registration section below first to see how many passes remain. Preregistration is strongly recommended in order to prevent disappointment!
If you are interested in a Saturday Evening Pass (7pm class plus social dance), please visit the monthly dance page instead.
All registrants must agree to our event liability waiver when purchasing a ticket. Cancellation/refund information can be found here.
Building & Parking Information
- The street entrance to MYArts is on the corner of E. Mifflin Street and N. Ingersoll Street.
- Daytime classes will be in Room 4C and the Saturday evening portions will be in 4D. A club volunteer will be stationed at the front desk in the lobby to check-in and direct dancers.
- On-street parking is free, but please check signage for time limitations.
- There is a parking garage in the building that costs $2/hr and has interior access to MYArts. Access the garage from N. Ingersoll Street.
- NOTE: Some evenings, particularly in the summer, there are large events (sports and festivals) happening at Breese Stevens Field next to MYArts. Street parking may be difficult, and most parking lots in the area incur higher special-event parking fees. However, the parking garage attached to MYArts does not offer event parking and is still open to MYArts event attendees. There will likely be an attendant at the parking lot entrance turning away Breese Stevens event-goers, but if you tell them you are going to an event in MYArts, they will let you park there.
If you are not feeling well or have a suspected COVID-19 exposure the day of the event, please stay home and come to dance another day. Should this happen to you, contact email@example.com for a refund or transfer. Full cancellation/refund information can be found here. MWCSC will not admit anyone to the event who appears to be ill.
Volunteering to help check in dancers or to help with clean up at the end of the event is always appreciated! Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information or to volunteer! Volunteers receive Swing Bucks to use as discounts at future dances.