West Coast Swing All-Star Dancer and Fantastic Instructor Danika Dahl is coming to Madison April 8 and 9!
Danika Dahl is a programmer by profession, and a dancer by passion – she travels around the world competing at west coast swing events, dancing with some of the top professionals in the industry. Some of her favourite locations to find West Coast Swing are Russia, and Budapest. When she is not dancing, she enjoys delving into the international cultures that surround her, learning new languages, and meeting new people.
Madison West Coast Swing Club is excited to bring Danika back to teach 5 workshops and join our Saturday night social dance. The workshops are geared for those with West Coast Swing experience.
Instructor: Danika Dahl
Dates: April 8 & 9, 2023
Location: Madison Youth Arts Center (MYArts) 1055 E. Mifflin Street (map — please note building outline is not shown on Google Maps due to it being so new!).
Saturday, April 8
12:45pm – Check-in opens (please arrive early!)
1:00-3:00pm – Intermediate Workshops
7:00-8:00pm – Pre-Social Dance Workshop (larger format to include additional evening attendees)
8:00-10:00pm – Social Dance
Sunday, April 9
1:00-3:00pm – Intermediate Workshops
Registration & Pricing
You can sign up & pay at the bottom of this page or pay with cash/check upon arrival or at a club event prior to the event weekend. Pre-registration is recommended, but not required. Registration is limited to 24 attendees, so don’t delay! (Attendance limit does not apply to Saturday Evening pass.)
- Non-members: If you are new to the club or your membership has expired, the bootcamp is $85, plus applicable fees. This includes a one-year membership ($25) which entitles you to discounts at all our weekly and monthly dances.
- Students: $65, plus applicable fees, which includes the same one-year membership as above.
- Members: $60, plus applicable fees.
Early-Bird Pricing ends on April 2, after which the price will go up $10.
If you are interested in a Saturday Evening Pass, please visit the monthly dance page instead.
Sister-club members: Please contact email@example.com with information on which sister club you are a member of, in order to set up a special pricing code.
Face Mask & COVID-19 Vaccination (Including Booster) Requirements
You must show proof of COVID-19 vaccination (plus a booster) to attend. At the door, you will be required to show:
- A COVID-19 vaccination card with your final initial series dose two weeks prior to the date of the dance or earlier. Additionally, you must have received a booster dose if eligible. A legible picture of your vaccination card is acceptable.
- A photo ID to match identity with the vaccination record card.
If you cannot produce these, you will not be allowed into the dance. Members who have attended a 2022 or 2023 dance have their records on file.
Face masks may be required depending on conditions the week of the workshop. A final decision will be made by 4/6.
Please see MWCSC’s COVID-19 policy for full details on these policies, including when MWCSC will and will not require face masks at events.
Building & Parking Information
- The street entrance to MYArts is on the corner of E. Mifflin Street and N. Ingersoll Street.
- Daytime classes will be in Room 4C and the Saturday evening portions will be in 4D. A club volunteer will be stationed at the front desk in the lobby to check-in and direct dancers.
- On-street parking is free.
- There is a parking garage in the building that costs $2/hr and has interior access to MYArts. Access the garage from N. Ingersoll Street.
- NOTE: Some evenings, particularly in the summer, there are large events (sports and festivals) happening at Breese Stevens Field next to MYArts. Street parking may be difficult, and most parking lots in the area incur higher special-event parking fees. However, the parking garage attached to MYArts does not offer event parking and is still open to MYArts event attendees. There will likely be an attendant at the parking lot entrance turning away Breese Stevens event-goers, but if you tell them you are going to an event in MYArts, they will let you park there.
Volunteering to help check in dancers or to help with clean up at the end of the event is always appreciated! Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information or to volunteer! Volunteers receive Swing Bucks to use as discounts at future dances.
If you are not feeling well or have a suspected COVID-19 exposure the day of the event, please stay home and come to dance another day. Should this happen to you, contact email@example.com for a refund.
As we return to social dancing, please be aware that COVID-19 is still a risk, and some in our community are taking extra precautions to take part in social dancing. Please keep the following considerations in mind:
- Wash your hands or use hand sanitizer regularly.
- Please be respectful of others and do not harass or question anyone for their mask choices.
- Please consider wearing a mask if your partner is wearing one.
- Dancers may refuse dances for any reason, including if their partner is not wearing a mask.
- Dancers may elect to only dance with a certain partner or a small “bubble” group.
- Be kind to your dance family. This is a time of transition and everyone is in a different place.
If you are uncomfortable, please find and inform a board member.