The purpose of this policy is to establish guidelines for the Board to follow when a Madison West Coast Swing Club member puts forth a request to use a club event to solicit funds for a charitable organization.
From time to time, the club itself may officially sponsor a charitable solicitation in a club-sanctioned event. These policies shall not apply to club-sponsored charitable solicitations.
Any Madison West Coast Swing Club member may approach the Board of Directors to use a club event to help fundraise for a non-profit, charitable organization. Approval of such a use of the event is at the sole discretion of the Board of Directors. Submission for approval must be done at least 2 weeks in advance and follow the procedure outlined below.
- The member shall contact a board member or contact the board at large (using the club email or “Contact Us” form) to initiate the fundraising suggestion.
- The Board President or a suitable proxy shall put this on a future board meeting agenda and inform the member when it shall be discussed. The member is welcome to attend said meeting and make their case for approval, but it is not required.
- At the meeting where this is to be discussed, approval/disapproval shall be decided with a simple board majority.
- The Board President or a suitable proxy shall inform the member of the decision.
- The Board of Directors should keep charitable solicitations to a minimum so that club activities do not become the “charity of the month.”
- Solicitations should be kept low key to not leave members feeling compelled to make donations.
- The organization must be a registered non-profit charitable organization with a current 501(c)(3) tax status.
- The club shall accommodate the member by providing a space and allowing announcements before and during the event. However, as this is not an officially club-sanctioned event,
- The club may NOT promote the fundraising activity on any advertising flyers or club-sanctioned social media posts.
- The member is ultimately responsible for providing promotional material and handling money related to the fundraiser.
- The fundraisers materials shall be kept separate from any normal club advertising.
Last updated by the MWCSC board: 3/31/2019