We know how hard it is not having social dancing and dance classes right now. The good news is that there are new online dance opportunities popping up all the time. MWCSC hopes that its members can stay engaged with the dance scene even when we are not meeting face-to-face or hand-to-hand. What can you do to stay engaged?
First, follow our Facebook page if you can. We are posting interesting things regularly, including contributions from some of our own club members:
- Club instructor Pete Koczanadon is posting dance practice & drill videos, geared especially for our club members. He typically posts a 5-10 minute YouTube video on Mondays. Following along with these videos will help ensure you keep your WCS skills honed, even if you don’t have a partner at home. If you want to review the videos already posted, or if you’re not on Facebook, you can find his YouTube channel here. The best part is these videos are completely free!
- Club DJ Matt Garrison is posting a weekly WCS music playlist on Wednesday evenings. Each week brings a new 20-song playlist (approximately 1 hour) that you can dance along with, practice your favorite drills, or just chill out and listen to (maybe while you work from home!). As always, Matt’s playlists include music from a wide variety of genres and time periods, so you’ll be sure to hear something you already like and something you are about to like. If you want to listen through some playlists from prior weeks, or if you’re not on Facebook, you can find his Spotify here. This is a great way to stay in touch with the latest popular WCS music.
- If you’d like to contribute to our club’s membership engagement, please contact us and we’ll help spread the word on this page and on Facebook!
Beyond our club’s offerings, the power of the Internet can connect you to instructors and other dancers all over the world. For instance, many professional instructors have pre-recorded videos for sale, with options for all levels of dancers. Here’s a rundown of a few options to get you going so you can learn and practice at home:
- Philippe & Flore Berne — including particularly beginner-friendly content
- Robert Royston’s famous “20-for-$20” videos — ideal for fundamentals, technique, and drills for any level dancer
- Kyle Redd & Sarah Van Drake — great series of videos for progressive learning
- Hugo Miguez & Stacy Kay (District Dance Academy) — lots of content and new content posted every week
Looking for even more opportunities? There’s lots more going on online, including online live group classes and private lessons (typically through a platform like Zoom). Many of these things have never existed before! Here are some online resources and directories where you can find what you’re looking for:
- WestiePro — a site for connecting you with an impressive array of WCS pros for individualized instruction and video reviews
- Global Westie Connection — a monthly live online workshop weekend event, brought to you by Tashina Beckmann King and Cameo Cross McHenry
- Virtual Westie directory — a directory of all sorts of online events and classes
- National FastDance Association — a directory of online events and classes, as collated by the largest association of swing dance groups (not just WCS). MWCSC is a member of NFDA.
- Online WCS Opportunities Facebook page — another way to find online WCS opportunities of all kinds, in a Facebook group
Can’t find what you’re looking for? Contact us and we’ll see if we can help!